Monday, March 30, 2009

Words of comfort!

The other day I went over to a good friend of ours and was talking about our loss and how hard it has been. I happened to mention to him that I was looking for something that would tell us a little more about how old our children (we have lost) will they be when we get to hold them again? And he gave me this article that was written from some talks that Joseph Smith had given, and it said...

At the funeral of two-year-old Marian Lyon, the Prophet said: "We have again the warning voice sounded in our midst, Which shows the uncertainty of human life; and in my leisure moments I have meditated upon the subject, and asked the question, why it is that infants, innocent children, are taken away from us, especially those that seem to be the most intelligent and interesting. The strongest reasons that presents themselves to my mind are these: This world is a very wicked world; and it... grows more wicked and corrupt... The Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world: they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefor, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again..."

Mary Isabella Horne and Leonora Cannon Taylor each lost a young child in death. Sister Horne recalled that the Prophet Joseph Smith gave the two sisters these words of comfort: "He told us that we should receive those children in the morning of the resurrection just as we laid them down, in purity and innocence, and we should nourish and care for them as their mothers. He said that children would be raised in the resurrection just as they were laid down, and they would obtain all the intelligence necessary to occupy thrones, principalities and powers."


The Prophet Joseph Smith said: "A question may be asked- 'Will mothers have their children in eternity?' Yes! Yes! Mothers, you shall have your children; for they shall have eternal life, for their debt is paid."
"Children... must rise just as they died; we can there hail our lovely infants with the same glory- the same loveliness in the celestial glory." (History of the Church, 6:316; from a discourse given by Joseph Smith on Apr. 7, 1844 and May 12, 1844 in
Nauvoo)

This article was so wonderful and really touched me. I felt the spirit, and I know that what Joseph Smith was saying was true. I didn't realize that Joseph and Emma Smith also have lost many Children, they had 11 children- 9 born to them and 2 adopted- only 5 lived to adulthood. I know that Joseph Smith knows the loss of a child, so he asked from his heart, if his loving wife would be able to have those children again, and the Lord did give him an answer. I am shore that Emma felt relieved to know that those children she had lost, she would be able to raise them from the age they had died, and see them grow.

I am so exited to be able to see our baby Sharyn again, and for me to be her mommy, and be able to raise her from a little baby. To be able to see her grow and enjoy all the blessings that comes with it. I love my heavenly father and know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God and that he was inspired, and speaks the truth. I am grateful for the atonement and the blessings it gives to me. I know Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to be happy. I hope that, for those of you that have lost a child, that this article helps you and comfort you, as it did for me. I want to thank Scott for finding this article for me, it was truly a blessing. Thank you!

2 comments:

Hatchpatch said...

I LOVE YOU!!!! Honestly I'm tearing up just making a comment. I'm so glad that you shared this with us. This is wonderful wisdom and inspiration to know that Emma and Joseph had this real life experience, just like you. I really can't imaging going thru this emotion, this trial and heartache, over again with as many children that they had. I know I could not live and be as strong as Emma. I see this also as another testiment that this Church is true and that our Father in Heaven loves us and gives us blessings with every breath we take. I do believe in the promise that we will be unitied with Sharyn. And you are an AWESOME, inspiring, powerful,loving, patientwoman and mother besides, I can go on and on, but really,I'm so lucky to have you as my friend, for every reason you think other wise! :)
Love you always!
Shawna

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. I always love to hear about how we will get to raise our daughters again one day. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Rylie